Wednesday 5 August 2015

Detox Diaries: Glow Cleanse Week One



If you have been following me on Snapchat, this past week was full of food snaps. I started Glow Cleanse which is a detox meal plan by Rushda Moosajee - owner of Glow Studios in Cape Town. It aims to cleanse and reset the digestive system in order to develop and maintain a healthy eating habit.

Basically, in order to detox one needs to eliminate sugar, dairy and carbs from their diet - the three fundamental factors of my diet. Excited and ready for the challenge ahead I mentally prepared myself to embark on this journey towards a healthy lifestyle. I chose to follow this meal plan primarily because I suffer from breakouts which I believe is caused by an unhealthy diet so I am quite excited to see what my skin looks like after this cleanse. 

Day one of the cleanse and I was happy to drink green juice for breakfast. I was surprised at how good everything tasted. About an hour or two later I felt a minor headache coming on - I thought it cannot be the diet, it's only been a few hours. Breakfast for me comprised of toast (carbs), peanut butter (sugar) and tea (dairy) which is now substituted with fruits and vegetables. I endured the headache and carried on with my day. By the end of day one I felt good about myself, having willpower and resisting my sugar cravings. Three days later I was still lugging around that headache from day one and I was moody as F***. I felt like bingeing on anything sweet I could get my hands on but I managed to resist. 

On my fourth day, my sister brought back Krispy Kreme from her travels which I wanted to devour immediately. I tried my best to stay away but my willpower failed me. I had a piece of a donut but sadly, it did nothing for me except make me chase sugar. I subsequently felt disappointed with myself for giving in but more disappointed that I didn't get the satisfaction I was hoping for. That's when I realised that it really isn't worth it. 

I'm trying to change my mindset about food and eating. I used to feel that if I cheated once my whole diet was ruined which led me to make poor choices throughout the day. However, now, if I have one bad meal I try to be extra good for the rest of the day. I haven't followed the diet perfectly because I'm basically weaning myself off drugs and it's only natural to relapse! I do feel so much better than I did a week ago and I've lost some weight! 

Find more details about the Glow Cleanse at www.rushtush.co.za and follow Rushda on snapchat: rushtush for motivation and a few laughs.

Tweet me @zaida_omar and let me know if you follow any diet plan and how you're feeling about it.

'Til next week 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts...